Monday, August 20, 2012

1st Day Of School

It's hard to believe that I now have a preschooler, 1st grader and 3rd grader. Classes started today for the older 2 and, while *they* might not have been excited about school, *I* was a little excited about getting back into making healthy school lunches for the kids. I've found that, especially for my 6 year old, variety is key. He really would rather have a little of a bunch of different things. My 8 year old can go either way so he's a little easier to please. Today instead of going for a theme, or anything cute, I went more for colorful sides to offset the blandness and monochromatic sandwich skewers.

To make the sandwiches more fun I put them on skewers and cut the (whole wheat) bread out with a star cutter. One kiddo has turkey and pepper jack, the other one has turkey and plain ole monterrey jack. I sure hope I got them the right box! Next to that are some kiwi and blueberries, baby carrots and a mini red bell pepper. Up above is some leftover chocolate muffin and dried cherries. 

Here they are all ready for an exciting day <cough>



2 comments:

  1. I like seeing your lunches Kim! We can go days of pb&j and an apple in a row, yikes. Do do lunch prep in advance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Toni! I don't do much prep in advance, although, I may start this year. I usually make the lunches while breakfast is cooking or something.

    ReplyDelete